Dec. 7, 2010,
Update by Steven B. Krivit:
In June 1998, the Electric Power Research Institute published Development of Energy Production Systems From Heat Produced in Deuterated Metals, Volume 1, TR-107843-V1, which provides a comprehensive overview of much, if not all, the SRI International LENR work. It includes detailed notes of the L-Series experiments, discussed in the Garwin-Lewis report cited above.
On the pdf page 188 (internally numbered 3-59), the authors explain a problem with cell L3 in detail and advise that, as a result, "the values of excess power displayed in figures [for L3] must be interpreted with caution."
For L4, the authors state, "The results, shown in figures [for L4], should be interpreted with the same caution as advised above for the results of experiment L3.”
Furthermore, according to this EPRI report, cells L1 and L2 did not show excess heat.
I discovered these facts on Dec. 6, 2010. Until then, my interpretation, as well as Garwin's interpretation, had been that the SRI researchers had accurately measured excess heat in the L3 and L4 experiments.
Garwin and Lewis, during their on-site examination and review of the SRI lab, had failed to find any artifact responsible for the measured excess heat.
Based on the newly uncovered information in the EPRI report, the results of cells L1-L4 no longer can be stated confidently as observations of excess heat. Based on my discussions with Garwin, I believe that he did not know the specific details of the artifacts for cells L3 and L4 until I found them in the EPRI report.
It is my conclusion therefore that Garwin and Lewis had believed for 17 years that the excess heat measured in those experiments was scientifically valid and accurate. But neither of them said so publicly.
To my knowledge, this is the first public notice of the detailed artifacts with cells L3 and L4. I thank Garwin for information that led to my finding of these facts.